Apply for visa in Hong Kong

Apply for visa in Hong Kong

If you are looking to get Chinese visa, you don‘t necessary need to apply for it in your home country. That‘s why so many people are chosing to get visa in Hong Kong. If you compare Hong Kong visa fees with some western countries such as Canada, the visa fees in Hong Kong are relatively small. If you are already in China but your visa is about to expire, you surely will save more money by booking flight to Hong Kong instead going back to your home country especially if you are from far away western country.


Also Hong Kong is very popular destination for travelers in general. Some people says it is a little bit like a Shanghai because of the skyscreapers and booming economy. However, most people will argue that Hong Kong is different from any other city in China because of its history of merging west and east cultures. Anyway, everyone agrees that it is one of the most international areas in the world and thus very liberal in many ways.

To enter Hong Kong for most citizens of western countries, visa is not required. If you are from one of these countries, you can stay in Hong Kong for up to 90 days which makes it even more convenient.

In order to get Chinese visa, you need to prepare some documents and take them with you when you are going to apply at Chinese Consul. The embassy needs to know where are you going to stay in China, for how long and what are you going to do there.

They will ask you your address in China, you can give them a letter of your university which states their address and that you will live on campus, hotel bookings or an invitation letter from your friend that states your friends personal information such as ID number, ID copies and of course address. If you are working in China, you can ask your company to write letter with similar information noted. If you already have a residence permit, it would help you a lot. Don‘t forget that all the documents must be printed and signed.

The embassy people will ask you when are you going to leave China, copies of any booked hotel or return flight ticket will do the job.

  • Original passport and a photocopy of your passport (first main pages only with your photo & info)
  • A passport photo (recently taken two-inch color photos)
  • A photocopy of your arrival stamp/stickerto Hong Kong (small white paper,that is entry slip when you arrive Hong Kong airport.)
  • Visa Application form of the People‘s Republic of China.
  • If you are applying for business visa you will be required to provide Business Card.

All the scanning work you can do inside the Visa Office building. They have several scanning mashines and people speaking english who are willing to help.

You should have all the copies of important documents as digital photocopies in your email or some other safe and easily accessible place, so in case of emergency you could still be able to gather all the documents from local printing place.



7th Floor, Lower Block, ChinaResourcesBuilding,

No.26, Harbor Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong SAR

Office Hours

Monday to Friday (except Hong Kong Public holidays,)

9:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00


Visa office may be closed on Hong Kong public holidays. Most people are applying on Mondays and Tuesdays or first day after holidays so if you want to save some time come other day. Rush hour is from 10:30-11:30 am and 14:00-15:30 pm.

Live Answering Telephone: 852-34132424 (available at 10:00-11:00am, 3:00-4:00pm on workdays)


It takes 2-4 days for the institution to process your visa, so if you apply on Monday you can take it back on Thursday.

Leave a comment